NOW OFFERING TELE/VIDEO COUNSELLING FOR BC RESIDENTS!
In light of the current COVID-19 health emergency, in-person sessions will not be available until further notice.
Should you live in British Columbia, Canada, and require mental health support at this difficult time, Ruth is offering telephone/video counselling appointments, including the added option of a 30-minute check-in session.
To get started, book online through the easy-to-use JANE app:
Have questions or wondering whether this is right for you?
For Non-medical information about COVID-19: 1-888-COVID19 (1-888-268-4319) or via text message at 604-630-0300.
Helping You Navigate Life’s Challenges
I am a Registered Clinical Counsellor (RCC) with the BC Association of Clinical Counsellors (BCACC), with a practice in beautiful North Vancouver, BC.
My passion is working with young adults and couples, especially those entering marriage, parenthood, or other times of transition, with a focus on prevention and education. I also equip people to better manage depression, anxiety, and other mental health concerns so that they are able to live a more focused and satisfying life.
Therapy based on 6 Core Principles
I know that both your time and money is precious. I work hard to deliver service that you are happy with
Earning your trust is the essence of our therapeutic work together
I will demystify the counselling process by explaining what we are doing and why
I use tools and techniques that are backed by research and proven to be effective
Therapy that is designed specifically with your needs and goals in mind, and is responsive to change
I maintain a high level of ethical standards, participating in ongoing personal and professional development so that I am the best I can be for you.
Techniques & Therapies Used
- Video/tele therapy
- Cognitive-Behavioural Therapy (CBT)
- Relaxation & Mindfulness practices
- Art-based techniques
- Motivational Interviewing (MI)
- Exposure techniques
- Emotionally Focused Couples Therapy (EFT)
- Gottman Couples Therapy
- Existential-Humanistic Therapy
- Solution-Focused Therapy
- PREPARE/ENRICH Relationship Assessment
If I do not have training in a particular area of need or if for whatever reason you decide to seek services elsewhere, I will gladly refer you to another professional. One of the most important factors in counselling outcome is, after all, the relationshipt that is formed between counsellor and client. It sometimes takes a few tries to find the right fit.
What to Expect from Counselling
Let’s face it, the idea of going to counselling can be anxiety-provoking, intimidating, or just plain uncomfortable for some people. It takes courage to pick up the phone and ask for help, so as I see it, my job is to try to make the process as comfortable and transparent as possible.
What I aim to do in our work:
- Help you to find balance and listen to your desires & needs
- Support you through loss & change
- Get you back in touch with what matters to you
- Encourage you to evaluate your situation from different perspectives by sharing my observations
- Share practical tools or resources
- Gently challenge you to take responsibility for your role in any problems you are facing
- Guide you to become more self-forgiving & embrace your imperfections
- Collaboratively brainstorm possible next steps
What I aim to NOT do in our work:
- Tell you exactly what you should do to solve the problem
- Claim that I have all of the answers
- Claim to understand your life better than you do
- Encourage ongoing blaming others for the issue
- Encourage an exaggerated/unhelpful victim mentality